When you register to take part in Walk For Water, you are committing to raise money for WaterAid and the work we do in ensuring communities have access to clean water, decent toilets, and good hygiene. For just $70, WaterAid can help provide water for a child, which can have a life-changing (if not life-saving) impact. Having access to a clean water source nearby means that child has less exposure to waterborne diseases and is more likely to make it to their fifth birthday. It means their mother can spend less time collecting water, and more time caring for them. And it means that child is more likely to be able to attend school.
But how does it work?
In just 3 easy steps you can get started
Step 1: Complete your registration
The more personalised you make your fundraising page, the more likely it is that visitors will support you. So don't forget to upload a photo and write a note on why you are a supporting WaterAid.
Step 2: Get others involved
Ask your friends, family & collegues to join you. Taking part as a team is a great way to stay motivated.
Step 3: Stay in touch with Walk for Water
it’s time to let people know that you are taking part in Walk for Water!
Our supporters are often surprised by how many of their friends and family are interested in making a donation. We’re not surprised, though – in fact, did you know that over 80% of adult Australians donate to charity ever year?
During our last fundraising event we ran, these were the most effective tactics our fundraisers told us they used:
- "I asked for donations through social media"
- "My family donated to me"
- “I used the features on the fundraising website”
- “I asked for donations from people at my work”
- “I asked for donations through email”
The easiest and most popular way to fundraise is to give your friends updates about your progress over Facebook, Instagram, or your social media platform of choice.
We recommend sharing a few key milestones with your friends:
- Post! Post! Post!: Let your friends, family and colleagues know that you’ve signed up for Walk for Water. And who knows - they might even want to join you!
- Day 1: Let everybody know that your Walk for Water challenge has begun. Remember to let your friends know what fundraising target you’ve set for yourself.
- During the challenge: The best Walk for Water fundraisers provide a daily update on how they’re finding the challenge.
- After Walk for Water: Let people know how you went and thank everyone that supported you.
Facebook isn’t just useful for public posts, though. We find that sending your friends a private note over Messenger or sharing your fundraising page in an intimate Facebook group can be very effective.
Through your fundraising dashboard when logged in to the Walk for Water website you can:
- Send emails and text messages to your friends to request sponsorship
- Write a thank-you message to everybody that donates to you
- Set custom donation amounts and create additional fundraising challenges
- Share your page via social media and email
- Create a team and invite your friends to join you
- Set your fundraising target
- Add a personalised profile picture and cover photo
- Share blogs, photos, and videos
- Download fundraising resources
Some poeple may wish to donate in person in either cash or cheque. Feel free to accept their generosity, so long as you don’t forget to donate the money onto your fundraising page. The easiest way to do this is to make a donation to yourself from your credit or debit card. If they’d like a tax receipt, use their name, address, and email address when making the online donation. Alternatively, you can donate the cash directly to WaterAid by using one of our pay in forms found under downloads.